Tuesday, September 2, 2008

This election

Even in the face of the post below about definitely not being a Republican, I have to say that I am extremely torn in this election cycle. Here are a few things I can say about it:

First, I know for certain I do not want Barrack Obama as President. In case anyone is looking to make a racial issue out of this let me say emphatically that the amount of pigmentation in anyone's skin has absolutely exactly zero influence on the way I vote. It's not the color of the skin, it is the content of the character, as someone once said.

It may be said that I do not know Obama, so can't judge his character. However, I do know some things about him that give me insight into his character.

To begin with he is 'pro-choice' in regard to abortion - which translated means he has no desire to legally hamper the murder of the most innocent victims imaginable. That says alot. In addition to his stance on the issue of abortion, he is overall probably the most liberal (in terms of social issues and big government philosophy) person in the Senate - at least based on his short voting record and stated positions. Also, he has known ties with the very corrupt Chicago Politcal Machine. This machine is basically mafia-esque (I think I just made up a word)! That says alot. Another thing that says alot about a candidate is who he/she chooses as a running mate.

Obama, who has stated he is 'new kind of politican,' that he is not 'Old-Washington' (and doesn't every single candidate try to distance themselves from the very city they are trying to get into?) chose for his running mate a multi-termed Senator who is the very epitome of 'Old Washington.'

Biden is also pro-abortion, is a long time liberal (again in terms of social issues and big government philosphies). He also has a record of plagerising other politicians in his speeches, has made racial slurs, and fairly recently has stated that Obama was not qualified to be president. But, don't worry. Throw that out the window now. Barrack is now qualified because he has chosen Biden as a running mate.

So, to start with, there is no way I could ever vote for Obama, and I hate the thought that I would contribute in any way to his election.

Secondly, though, I am not exactly thrilled at the prospect of a McCain Presidency. McCain is the perfect example of why I am not a Republican. His 'Maverick' status is a joke. He is in many ways indistinguishable from the Democrats. He has increased corruption in the name of fighting it. Where perhaps he differs from traditional Republicanism is that he supposedly has fought big business interests (esp. Tobacco and Oil) However, in our current political climate, all such things as these need to be considered far more deeply than the surface - something we can not do here.

McCain, to me, proved himself totally unlikable during the Republican Primary debates. His closest competitor was Mitt Romney. Now, I do not much care for Romney either, but the way McCain was toward him in the debates that I saw almost made me lean his way. McCain was, in my opinion, so immature in the way that he attacked Romney, that it made it unthinkable to me that the man could ever be President. Note, I have no problem with him 'attacking' an opponent. It's just the way he did it that bothered me so. It was VERY immature.

However, I must admit, that I am at least a tad intrigued by McCain's choice of running mates. From a practical standpoint it was simply brilliant. There is no other word for it.

For one thing, she is female. This automatically buys him millions of female votes. (Not implying that that anywhere near all women everywhere would vote for him based on this, but many women and moderate men could be swayed by the prospect of a female running mate - esp for a seventy something year old president. This could easily lead to a female presidency in the fairly near term future) In short - many 'moderate' fence sitters for whom a female candidacy might be important may be swayed.

In addition to this, she is a conservative, pro-life, Christian. She even gave birth to her fifth child in her forties, knowing he had Downs Syndrome. There are many millions of conservative Christian pro-life fence sitters out there who may be swayed to vote based on this (Including the Groaning Philosher!)

Add to that she is a gun toting, hunting, life member of the NRA. This will no doubt energize at least a few million gun lovers. Images of her holding a large weapon may excite both strong minded females as well as gun loving males and females.

It is hard to imagine that McCain could have picked a better running mate - her recent revelations about her daughter notwithstanding. The point above is, that there are various groups who had millions of fence sitters in this election. Palin may have just knocked them off the fence and into the McCain Camp. BRILLIANT!!!

So, I know for sure that I do not like Obama, Biden, nor do I much care for McCain. However, I am deeply intrigued by McCain's running mate. Both McCain and his running mate are pro-life, the other two are anti-life. This is nearing the point of swaying me toward McCain. However.....

I am still a fervent believer in the total corruption of both major parties. I believe, from a political standpoint, a third party must emerge. The only two possibilities from where I sit are the Libertarian Party and the Constitution Party.

In this cycle, I think I have decided against a vote for the Libertarian Party. I think Bob Barr is an old line Republican who ran out of opportunities there so joined the Libertarians. I do not believe he has a record of solid, limited government philosophy.

I am really impressed with the Constituion Party Candidate, and for the most part, its platform. There is one major exception to this, though (there may be others, but this is the one I am aware of now). The exception is that for some inexplicable reason, the CP, like many paleo-con groups, falls for the economically disastrous idea of mercantilism. This shows forth most clearly in their support of the protective tarriff. (see the Republican post below for at least a brief introduction to the dangers of the protective tarriff.)

Other than this point, though, the CP offers a solid, limited government, pro-constitution, pro-life, platform. On the whole, I could much more comfortably support this party, its candidate, and his running mate, more than the Republicans, the Democrats, or the Libertarians. However, and this is big, he has zero chance of winning.

This is the constant dilemma for the principled voter. Do I vote for the principle, knowing there is no chance, or do I hold my nose and vote for the lesser of the two major party evils? Right now, I do not know. I know which way I am leaning and may write about it in the future, but I am not totally decided yet.

Any thoughts?

J

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although I'm not as familiar with the Constitutional Party or other third parties, I feel the same way you do about this election.

I've shifted from wanting to vote Libertarian, to not voting at all, and now am leaning toward voting for McCain (especially now with his choice for VP). If I vote for McCain, I'll do so with the hope that he and Palin will keep things remotely together at least until the next Ron Paul comes. Then my generation will have more of a voice and will be sick of how everything is run. So the next Ron Paul may actually have a chance!

That is wishful thinking of course.